- 1.1 The Black Excellence Network is committed to ensuring the highest possible standard of safeguarding. The personal safety and wellbeing of each mentor and mentee using The Black Excellence Network services is paramount.
2.0 LEGISLATIVE FRAMEWORK/RELATED POLICIES
2.1 These policies and Safeguarding Procedures aim to ensure that all persons using the B.E.N services can do so safely within child safeguarding standards and UK law.
- 3.1 The aim of this policy is to safeguard all students and other persons using The Black Excellence Network’s mentoring services
- 3.2 This policy document contains the responsibilities of all persons using The Black Excellence Network , including mentees, mentors, ambassadors and the leadership team.
- 3.3 It is important that all persons using or working on behalf of The Black Excellence Network are aware of this and understand policy and its procedures.
- 3.4 This policy should be read and understood before engaging in any activity arranged through. Contravention of the Safeguarding Policy could lead to suspension and/or barring from the services.
4.0 MENTOR REGISTRATION
- 1 The Black Excellence Network allows potential mentors to sign on to the service providing their full name, email address, educational institution and current course/apprenticeship.
- 2 The Black Excellence Network gives preference to mentors who provide comprehensive information on their Mentor Matching Form and Initial Application Form.
- 2.1 Mentees can choose mentors from the mentor profile selection provided.
- 3 All mentors are required to act according to our Safeguarding policy.
- 5.1 The contents of all communications between ambassadors, mentees and mentors will go via the online platform in order to preserve anonymity of the mentee to the mentor.
- 5.1.1 Mentors are not permitted under any circumstances to communicate with mentees via any other mechanism, including but not limited to social media and instant messaging clients.
- 5.2 The mentee will not be aware of the email address of the mentee or school and will not be able to communicate with them directly.
Last updated: 3/07/2020
5.3 All video calls shall take place via Zoom Communications via video chat and integrated. Mentees reserve the right to record their screen in order to view sessions at a later point in time. Mentors and mentors are not required to have their video cameras on during these sessions.
- 4 All non-academic personal details about the mentee and school will remain private and confidential and will not be available to the mentor.
- 5 Mentors or mentees can at any time request to delete data collected at any time
5.5.1 Data remains the property of The Black Excellence Network, although will never be sold or distributed in any capacity to 3rd parties.
5.6 All data and information will be kept in accordance to the General Data Protection Act (GDPR) 2018
6.0 SAFEGUARDING PROCEDURES
6.1 If a mentor sees or experiences inappropriate language or behaviour:
- 1.1 The mentor will request, in a polite manner, that the mentee or other persons using inappropriate language or behaviour refrains from doing so during communications. If the language continues the mentor will explain that they will terminate the communications due to the language and will report the matter to The Black Excellence Network who will decide on any further use of the service by the mentee or other person involved. The mentor will have no further contact with the mentee unless by mutual agreement with The Black Excellence Network. Any unsolicited contact from the mentee or other persons following the termination of communications should be reported to The Black Excellence Network.
- 1.2 Any display of child abuse images or indecent images of a child (for these purposes, a ‘child’ is defined as anyone under the age of 18 years) is an offence under UK law. Any mentor witnessing a display of indecent images of a child by or in the presence of a mentee should explain that due to the nature of the images they will terminate the communications. The mentor should inform The Black Excellence Network and the appropriate authorities of the incident. The mentor should have no further contact with the mentee or any other person involved in the incident. Any unsolicited contact from the mentee or other persons following the termination of the communications should be reported to the police and The Black Excellence Network immediately.
6.2 If a mentee sees or experiences inappropriate language or behaviour:
- 2.1 The mentee will inform a parent/responsible adult, and The Black Excellence Network of the mentor using inappropriate behaviour. The parent/responsible adult should ask the mentor to refrain from using inappropriate behaviour during communications. If the behaviour continues the parent/responsible adult will explain that they will terminate the communications due to the behaviour and will report the matter to The Black Excellence Network who will decide on any further use of the service by mentor. The mentee, parent/responsible adult should have no further contact with the mentor unless by mutual agreement with The Black Excellence Network. Any unsolicited contact from the mentor after termination of the communications should be reported to The Black Excellence Network.
- 2.2 If the behaviour is of a sexual nature towards a mentee by a mentor, the mentee should immediately inform a parent/responsible adult and The Black Excellence Network and terminate all communications. The parent/responsible adult should inform the UK police and The Black Excellence Network immediately.
Last updated: 3/07/2020
7.0 RESPONSIBILITIES OF MENTORS
7.1 The mentors will:
- 1.1 Ensure that their environment does not display any inappropriate images or documentation capable of being viewed by the mentee or parent/responsible adult when conducting a webinar or video communication .
- 1.2 Treat mentees fairly and without prejudice or discrimination.
- 1.3 Always ensure language is appropriate and not offensive or discriminatory.
- 1.4 Ensure any contact with the mentees is appropriate to their role as a mentor and confined to the relevant mentorship communication.
- 1.5 Not make any improper suggestions to a mentee.
- 1.6 Not send unsolicited communications to the mentee.
- 1.7 Value and take mentee contributions seriously.
- 1.8 Report any dispute with a mentee to The Black Excellence Network, in accordance with the Safeguarding procedures above.
- 1.9 Report any inappropriate behaviour or illegal activity identified within communications by the mentee or third party, in accordance with Safeguarding Procedures above.
8.0 RESPONSIBILITIES OF MENTEES
8.1 The mentee shall:
- 1.1 Treat the mentor with respect and fairness, and not subject them to abusive behaviour or language.
- 1.2 Not make any improper suggestions to the mentor.
- 1.3 Have no inappropriate communication with the mentor outside the mentorship.
- 1.4 Report any dispute with a mentor to The Black Excellence Network and their school in accordance with the procedures in Section 6.
- 1.5 Report any inappropriate behaviour or illegal activity by a mentor within a session in accordance with the Section 6.
9.0 RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARTNERED ORGANISATIONS
9.1 External organisations agree to:
- 1.1 Report any safeguarding concerns to relevant parties including parents, The Black Excellence Network and the police.
- 1.2 Regular communications to discuss the progress and welfare of relevant mentees
10.0 RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BLACK EXCELLENCE NETWORK
10.1 Leadership shall:
- 1.1 Ensure mentors complete the Mentor Application Form and Matching Form
- 1.2 Ensure that any dispute between persons using the The Black Excellence Network services is handled efficiently and fairly without discrimination in accordance with the Safeguarding Procedures set out in this document.
- 1.3 Deal with reports of possible illegal activity promptly, ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the mentee and/or mentor in accordance with the Safeguarding Procedures set out in this document.
- 1.4 Regularly review the Safeguarding Policy and Safeguarding Procedures to ensure they are relevant and adequate to safeguard all persons using The Black Excellence Network services.
- By email: email@example.com